Sunday, April 20, 2008

Vo

My grandfather (vo) is 72 years old. He hasn't exactly been the model father, husband, or man throughout his life. He married my grandmother as an alcoholic and after finally confronting his problem and becoming a Director of AA in Brazil; he became a womanizer. My grandmother should have won a medal of honor for all she had to deal with while raising their 4 kids.

My grandparents divorced over 30 years ago. My vo still cheats on his girlfriends and dates women younger than his grandchildren (last one I heard about was 19!). If he wasn't my grandfather I would probably dislike him based purely on the machismo way he lives his life. The truth of the matter is - despite all of this - my grandfather is a great guy. He knows how to make people laugh, he travels with his AA group, and keeps a friendship with my grandmother. He is very proud of me and tells anyone who can hear that his granddaughter was the only one who inherited his hazel eyes - and his alcoholism (after which he usually chuckles uncontrollably).

I spoke to my vo on the phone Sunday. He is in Rio de Janeiro so I rarely speak to him. It made me think about him and his life. He may not have made many people happy, but I know one thing for sure - he knows how to BE happy. He has always lived his life on his own terms and hasn't apologized for that. I am not justifying his alcoholism, his womanizing, or leaving his family - but I understand that the pursuit of happiness might not be the morally correct road traveled. There is what we should do and what we want to do. I think most of the time we do what we should - which is great, but think back to a major life decision that you made based on the should. Would you be happier now if you had taken the other road?

No comments: