Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Doochebags

What has happened to standards? We used to have standards. I know many a smart, attractive, interesting, funny people who date complete doochebags. This is a trend with both female and male friends of mine. I feel as if I know them so well and hold such high hopes for their lives - only for them to ruin it by dating dooches. Do I hold my friends on pedestals that they don't deserve or do they simply not see their own potential themselves?

I believe - whole heartedly - that the latter is true. They simply don't know what they are worth. Is this a self-worth issue? I would NEVER date ANY of my friends significant others. I mean, if they had never been involved with a friend of mine - I would think them the dooches that they are and hope that they would commune only with equally doochey dooches.

I don't say "doochebag" lightly. I am not using that term because their significant other is a little annoying or a bit dumb. I use "doochebag" to mean ignorant, arrogant, jackass with no respect for anyone (including their significant other). Believe me, they have earned the term.

Some may not fit into the "doochebag" term, but may instead be composed partly of doochey-ness, partly of neediness, and partly of pathetic-ness (I know most of those aren't REAL words - but they should be).

I had one of my friend's boyfriend say such things as "women are naturally inferior to men," "I would never date a girl that didn't put out by date 5," and "oh look at the ass on that bitch," (all on different occasions mind you). One of my friend's girlfriends gets mad at him for EVERYTHING, speaks rudely to his family, and throws a hissy fit every time he goes anywhere without her. One of my friend's boyfriends wouldn't allow her to call him her "boyfriend" (even though they had been seeing each other for 3 years). Another friend's boyfriend 'made her' take out a piercing because he felt it was "TOO TRENDY" only later to get a giant tattoo of an animal on his arm to commemorate his favorite team.

So whats the problem here? Fear of being alone? Co-dependency? Stupidity? Lack of a vision of what is 'good' in a person? Lack of strength? I think about it everyday and it has become a frustrating part of my life. I have gotten blue in the face stating my opinion - to no avail. They don't know how great they are and I live with the fear that these dooches will ruin their lives forever. I guess there is not much I can do and they will simply have to learn on their own, the hard way.

1 comment:

Tachi said...

I know this is my own blog... but rather than change it, I would like to comment on it.

I think I might understand this whole deal of dating the douchebags. Although mentally we may have the brain power of choice and standards... sometimes you just can't pick you like.

I get it now because ladies and gentlemen - I have a crush that makes no sense whats so ever. Of course this man is not a douche - as I would never be attracted to one again - but he is a good friend and VERY much NOT into me. I feel like a 15 year old school girl and there is really no explanation for it. I guess its purely chemical or something... I don't know. I am using everything in me to NOT like this guy. In this case, I just wish I had the power of choice.