Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Diving


I just spent a few days on a boat on the Great Barrier Reef. We spent the entire time diving and snorkeling every 2 - 3 hours, only to break to eat and sleep. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.

I DIVE. I DIVE. I know that for those of you who know me enough know that this is a strange concept. I DIVE. I have had a strange fear of fish (because they might come suckle on my fingers and toes) and sharks (too many Jaws movies) for most of my life.

My first day I only snorkeled... which I was quickly pretty good at. The second day I tried diving... and quickly fell in LOVE. I felt like the Little Mermaid - as one with the sea with little restrictions on where I could go.

Night two consisted of a night dive (eek!). Although it is dark they give you some small torches (flashlights) and the moon was almost full enough so that you knew where you were going. I saw a turtle friend of mine trying to sleep on the coral. There was a big red bass following us wherever we went. I nicked named him the stalker fish. What else did I see in the deep sea... at night you ask? A SHARK! I saw a shark feeding! It was more annoyed by our presence than anything else. It just wanted to eat the darn fish it was hunting.

I saw quite a few turtles during our trip. I got to touch the shell of one when we dove the 6am dive (yes, me... waking up at 5 am to get into the cold water). Turtles like it when you scratch the algae off of their shells. The best turtle encounter was when I was giving diving a bit of a rest and went in for a snorkel. The turtle swam up to the surface, then came about half way up and started looking at me. He just sort of swam around staring at me probably thinking "what kind of fish are you!?!"

On my final day I went on a cave dive. We swam between bits of coral and found large parrot fish, a BIG clam and some other super life on the reef.

The crew was great and made me think about the possibility of working a few weeks on a boat. I am amazed by what they get to do everyday - although it is hard work. They are all people living their passion everyday. I just have to find out what mine is. My travel buddy Tamara said something that is very relevant. "This travel business of ours, its not just to see experience great things - it is also a spiritual journey and one that will help us everyday find ourselves a bit more."

I plan on getting back on a boat in a few days. We may sail to Whit Sundays islands... and maybe dive along the way.

Tati

No comments: